- Potable water management; and monitoring & implementation of the Water Supply Schemes of the department.
- Facilitating access of safe drinking water to the general public.
- Establishment of sources for drinking water purpose i.e. installation of Tube Wells, construction of galleries/sump wells to surface flow and water treatment system for canal I surface water.
- To make available piped water for drinking and household purpose with construction of sound sewerage system.
- Setting regulations for technical issues related to the sector.
- Planning, design and construction of water filtration plants including operation and maintenance of already completed plants.
- Construction and maintenance of Public Health Drinking Water Scheme.
- Water Tariff Collection in consultation with Finance Department.
- Issuance of Notification for water Rates.
- Levying regular taxes which should be increased gradually to generate revenue.
- To monitor the implementation of all vertical programmers, Federally Funded Projects, Foreign Aided Projects through its Provincial setup i.e. CE/SE and field implementations.
- To introduce and monitor the implementation of water quality standards and quantity control, for its economical and efficient use.
- To continue the present practice of disbursement of O&M funds to the lower tiers to ensure smooth operation of Water Supply Schemes.
- Adoption of renewable energy to control operation and maintenance.
- To monitor the functioning of the existing Electrical and Mechanical Division for drilling and development of Tube Wells.
- Protection of water sources from contamination by continuous water treatment, stream pollution control etc.
- Public awareness with regard to water conservation by means of campaigns.
- To interact with the sister departments to create provision of drinking water regarding construction/design of water reservoirs in order to meet with future requirements of drinking water.
- All Service matters of the employees of the Attached Departments, which does not include employees of the Secretariat and except those matters entrusted to Services and General Administration Department or to any other Department.
This section deals with administrative and general nature matters of the department. Posting, transfer, budget preparation, traveling allowances, medical bills, and grant of leaves etc. are affairs dealt by administration section. The service matters except those entrusted to Services & General Administration department of any member of the staff also fall under purview of this section. All disciplinary actions are taken by this section on complaint against any member of the department in
Chief Engineering Office
The office of Chief Engineer prepares Implementation Plan Matrix, Quarterly Monitoring Reports, Five Year Rolling Plans, Procurement Plans, and formulates sector statistics regarding investments & coverage using Management Information System. New low cost schemes are designed here and those received from other offices of the department across Balochistan are scrutinized technically. Other important tasks being dealt by this office are:
- Continuous contact with the communities.
- Social mobilization.
- Follow up contacts with all the stakeholders.
This office supervises work on Water Supply Schemes, costing more than Rs. 5.000 million, financed under Public Sector Development Program (PSDP), an annual development program of government o Balochistan. Water supply schemes sponsored under specific development packages namely Governor’s Package and Drought Package etc. are also executed under supervision of this office in addition to foreign and federally funded schemes.
Each district has one Executive Engineer. The Executive Engineer offices shoulder responsibility of executing schemes up to Rs.5.000 million under PSDP and other specific development packages. Besides, Executive Engineer offices are responsible for operation and maintenance (O&M) of all water supply schemes. These offices collect water tariff and make arrangements to handover small schemes to the beneficiaries for O&M.